Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week 3

It felt good to pile the produce up on my counter again this week. I was glad to have another veggie I had never made before...in fact I make be spelling it wrong. It is a broccoli but instead of steaming it I chopped and sauteed it then served it with some honey butter with sesame seeds...mmm. It had a nice broccoli taste but was the consistency of "greens" with a few trees (of broccoli) for texture.

Fresh carrots really do taste better. These were delish just scrubbed and eaten raw. Are carrot tops good for anything?

I grabbed more chard but this time I cut and froze it for soups this winter. There were a few collard green plants left so my husband requested more wraps and I already made another batch of kale chips. The field herbs are coming in so I have some nice fresh parsley and basil with the promise of more later in the season.

I learned a few lessons on storing greens, though it is best to use them quickly:
store them in the crisper in bags
you can revive them by soaking them in COOOOLD water for an hour or so

This little guy hitchhiked home with us from the farm:

My husband detests slugs so everything had to be throughly washed and checked before storage. Probably a good idea anyway...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment