Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Week 6


I had to skip pick-your-own again this week (it was just me and 2 tired boys) and I was super sad because the basil is coming in :(.
More bok choy is always a welcome sight. I took this weeks carrots and made baby food for the 5-month-old. What better to feed your baby than local, organic, fresh carrots!! My husband and I were iffy on the fennel. It is just not mu cup of tea and while he likes it he found it overpowering. I heard you can dry the fronds for later use with chicken or fish so I am drying them but we will see if I decide to use them...

The Mexican Gray Squash was listed as carali at the CSA which yielded nothing helpful in google so we tried google goggles and came up with Mexican Gray Squash - cook like zucchini. Well I was going to do zucchini fries so I may do MGS fries and use the zucchini in muffins. To do the fries I cut them into 3-4 inch long sticks (about a half inch thick) then dip into flour with s&p, then a beaten egg followed by panko crumbs. I then bake at like 425 until goldenish or pan fry them (yum).

I am not a big beet eater but found this recipe for beet ravioli and was excited to give it a try. Where I go for bulk foods was out of poppy seeds - luckily beets keep so I will be trying it next week.
Obviously we have been eating lots of salad and I made a new dressing that I LOVE!!

1T Fresh Orange Juice
1T Olive Oil
1T Rice Wine Vinegar or Cider Vinegar
1t Sugar
S&P to taste

Obviously you can adjust to taste. I bet it would be good with orange zest (but I had already used the zest of my orange) or poppy seeds (dang you store for being out). I actually segmented (?) my orange and just used the juice that dripped down then added the segments to the salad to with the fennel and the last of the onions from last week.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment