Thursday, August 18, 2011

Week 10

I got overwhelmed by the squash again this week.  This time I roasted some up.  I just diced them, tossed them in olive oil and salt then baked them at 400 until they looked good.  I hope to use them in minestrone this winter: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/roasted-vegetable-minestrone/

I haven't talked much about the lettuces we get and I really don't do them justice.  I was reminded how special they are when we got a GIGANTIC concept lettuce head this week.  It was as big as about 4 heads of romaine that you would buy at the store.  It fed us for days!!  Other than concept, we have had green leaf, red leaf, magenta, romaine and I am sure one or two other I am forgetting.  Their flavor is amazing and as long as you use them in the first few days they are crisp and bright.  I still love the orange juice dressing too.  I made it again tonight.

Beets are growing on me.  I used some in a simple salad with apples and pineapple - no dressing and thought they were a nice addition (especially in color!).  Fennel is still not growing on me...oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment