Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Week 9

 This week felt really well rounded to me.  Like a trip to the grocery store.  My husband and 3-year-old did the pick up and managed to get some u-pick done.  They also picked and ate some beans and brought me flowers (below).  We made a batch of kale chips this week with some special black Hawaiian sea salt I had impulse bought from the bulk section.  We ate the green beans and carrots raw (and quickly).  The yellow carrots are so fun! There is a zucchini languishing in the crisper drawer waiting for inspiration to strike me.  Thank goodness the zucchini plant I put in my back yard failed to thrive.

The u-pick flowers are beginning to bloom!

One thing I wish I knew more about was storing all of this wonderful food.  After losing a head of lettuce and a few carrots I started researching and this is what I have learned:

Carrots - They come with the beautiful green tops; cut them off.  They will keep a while just thrown in the crisper but you can also wash them up and keep them in water for quick eating.

Lettuce - The best advice I have is to bag it.  I like to wash a head and keep it in my salad spinner so it is ready to go.  We are more likely to use it if we pre-wash it.  Just don't tear it up too much.

Other greens (kale, collards, chard) - just like lettuce, bag them up.

Onions - I don't know!  I keep reading that you should braid them and dry them but I can't do it...I just use them fast...

Beets - Cut off those tops (I hear you can use them like greens) and store them in the fridge in a plastic bag.

I think that covers what I have learned thus far :)


No comments:

Post a Comment